Navigation/Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Across the Universe By Beth Revis



Released: January 2011
Publisher:  Razorbill
Pages: 398
Genre: Science Fiction, Romance, Mystery
Rating: 3.5 / 5




A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

            This book was great, but it's not my new favorite. Which is is fine, because it's Revis' debut Ya novel.
I was really fascinated with the idea of the book. You don't see a lot of books with cryogenically frozen heroines. ba-dum-tiss.
            Alright, let's get down to business. To defeat the huns.  - clears throat- I apologize for that. I promise to be serious now. I guess I'll start with the outward appearance. 

           The cover is absolutely stunning. That's actually one of the reasons I wanted it. I'm sorry for being such a girl, but it's just so pretty. A lot of great authors have said good things about this book. So of course I wanted to read it.  
           I was prepared for a murder-mystery, which I did not receive. I had guessed who the culprit was early in the book. There's not much fun in being right while reading. There should have been at least some sort of element of surprise, but there wasn't. There were attempts to throw me off said person's trail, but they lacked effort. There's one scene in the book where Amy makes a list of suspects, and marks some of them off. We weren't given a reason as to why they were marked off; they just were. Actually, now that I think about it, that might have been the only attempt. So, I'm going to try & not be too negative, because I actually liked this book, and I pick up on things that others don't. My attention to detail will be the death of me. Anyway, back to what I was talking about; the mystery. I had already guessed who the culprit was, and I was correct. Now, even though I already knew who-dun-it, I was hoping the reveal would have been a little more eventful. And maybe more than a few pages long. I felt like I read this whole book for a very short ending. Everything seemed to just happen. Events that were crammed into very few pages: the reveal, the explanation for being evil, the speech on  diabolical plans, and the defeat. Can I just say that I cannot stand when  villains tell everyone their evil plans for world domination? Because I don't get it. When you tell someone every detail of your Every-villain-is-lemons scheme, they WILL know how to stop you. WHY!? WHY, WOULD YOU DO THAT!?
image
      I would have rated this book a wee bit higher if the ending was a tad longer. I will give credit where credit is due though. Revis created some pretty likable characters. Harley was funny, sweet, and my favorite character. Why you make me cry, Revis? Why? :'(
      Amy was independent. Well, about as independent as a girl can be in that situation. There were only a few time I wanted to slap her. And that's pretty good for the YA heroines these days. As for Elder, I'm not really sure how I feel about him. Yet. Hopefully all shall be revealed in the next book.
Anyway, this book was pretty good. I do recommend it if you're looking for a quick entertaining read. This is only the first book in the series. I am expecting the others to be more climactic.
 Beth Revis, I salute you. You did a great job on your debut.

- Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not use racist, offensive, or crude language. Profanity is also not allowed. You are allowed to say what you want as long as it doesn't include the previously stated.