Navigation/Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Released: Oct. 2010
PublisherHenry Holt

Pages: 352
Genre: Horror, Urban Fantasy

Rating: 3.8 / 5



Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?


     Hmmm. It's kind of hard to say exactly how I feel about this book. It was really great, but there were some things left unsaid. But before I get to that, I'm going to talk about the good points as per usual.
    Throughout the book, the story was told from many different character POVS. I enjoyed that so very much. It let me get to know each character more thoroughly than I would have if the book was only told from Sam's POV. The villain was deliciously evil, the friends were witty and aggressive, and the hero of this story was not built on the dreams of teenage girls everywhere. He was so much better.
     The characters in this book are extremely bright and hilarious. I fell in love with Sam. Sam's character was
very well written. He didn't really try to hide his cowardice, in fact, he owned it. Such cowardice left room for character development. Through out the book, Sam kept all of his fears, but faced all of them. This book was a lot different than I was expecting it to be. It was so unique and quirky.  However, I felt like this books should have been longer, or there should have been a follow-up book. Some things were just kind of left dangling. I haven't read the novella yet, but I plan to. I'll probably review it when I find the time to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not use racist, offensive, or crude language. Profanity is also not allowed. You are allowed to say what you want as long as it doesn't include the previously stated.