Navigation/Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Queen Bee of Bridgeton by Leslie Dubois


Released: May 2011
PublisherLittle Prince Publishing
Pages:  244

Genre: Contemporary Romance, Drama
Rating: 3 / 5




     When fifteen-year-old Sonya Garrison is accepted into the prestigious Bridgeton Academy, she soon discovers that rich girls are just as dangerous as the thugs in her home of Venton Heights. Maybe more so. After catching the eye of the star, white basketball player and unwittingly becoming the most popular girl in school, she earns the hatred of the three most ruthless and vindictive girls at Bridgeton. Can she defeat the reigning high school royalty? Or will they succeed in ruining her lifelong dream of becoming a world class dancer?


     I won an ARC of this books on goodreads, but I never actually got around to finishing it. I put it down and forgot to pick it back up. There was a reason though. 
     I absolutely love the cover. However, the girls' uniforms did not match the description in the book. That nearly killed me. Okay, on to the actual review.
     I really like the idea of the book. Sonya was very much a teenage girl. I appreciate that she spoke with the average vocabulary of a teenager girl. More often than not, I notice authors have their characters using words I know people my age wouldn't throw into casual a conversation. Sonya is a very likable character. Although, I will say that she did have her moments, but overall she was a great lead.
    This book did a great job of making me understand Sonya's  life. Not a lot of the book took place at her home, but I was absolutely heartbroken by how sad she was with her home life. She was embarrassed of where she lived, but dancing was an escape for her. That's another thing I liked. I haven't seen a lot of books with dancing in it. I have always been fascinated by ballerinas. I have never wanted to be one, but I have always thought they were beautiful. I wish the book had taken more time to explain her dancing. Apparently she was great, but it didn't really go into much detail.
   I took quite a few things away with this book. It was evident that opportunity and money can blind even the purest of people with greed. The plot twist absolutely broke my heart. I'm not going to give anything away, but I could never imagine how Sonya felt at that moment. My world would crumble if that happened to my family, but she kept her head up. Sure she was broken by it herself, but she tried her best to move on and she got a happy ending. FOR NOW...
I guess we'll see what happens in the sequel.

  


     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not use racist, offensive, or crude language. Profanity is also not allowed. You are allowed to say what you want as long as it doesn't include the previously stated.